Royal Burgh of Haddington and District Community Council
Minutes of meeting of 11th December 2007 in Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 13th November 2007 at Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 9th October 2007 at Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 11th September 2007 at Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 12th June 2007 at Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 8th May 2007 at Council Chambers
Jan Wilson (Chair), John Golightly (Vice Chair), Emily Armatage (Treasurer), Norman Lawrie, Colvin Denholm,
David Motherwell, Effie Renton, Fiona-Frances Adam, Nico de Freitas, Bob Oliver
Cllr Ludovic Broun-Lindsay (ELC), Cllr Tom Totter (ELC), Neil Aitcheson (Courier), Craig Finley (EL News),
Anna Faulkner (minute secretary)
2. Apologies: Cllr Sheena Richardson, Dave Brunton, Irene Pow, Ruth Moncrieff, Janet Brent,
3. Major Items for AOCB
3.1 Local Priorities budget
4. Minutes of Tuesday 13th November
6.4 Play Area: Effie pointed out that the reply was received 5 years ago.
Approval of the minutes was proposed by John and seconded by Colvin.
5. Matters Arising
5.1 Item 4.1 Sidegate/High Street: Ludovic confirmed that this has been repaired
5.2 Item 5.1 Newton Port: Norman confirmed that 3 councillors had attended a site meeting. SLOW signs have now been painted on the road.
5.3 Item 5.5 Inter-town sports: Emily has written letter
5.4 Item 5.11 River Tyne: Ludovic has spoken to Murray Hutchison (engineer employed by ELC) and he confirmed that the Flood Prevention Report is still being prepared. This will be presented once ready in the new year.
5.5 Item 6.3 Recycling Lorries (leaving bottles etc where they drop): Ludovic has spoken to Colin Clark about this matter – wants to be kept informed if this continues to happen.
5.6 Item 6.4 Play area (Acredales): Ludovic has spoken with David Kerr (Landscape & Countryside Dept) who has said that ELC does not have much of a Capital Budget for play areas. It was suggested that we try to work together on this – perhaps some Local Priorities money could be used for this. Effie took a note of his telephone number and will take this up with David Kerr. Action ER
5.7 Item 6.5 Potholes at Gourlaybank: These have been done.
5.8 Item 6.6 Market Street: missing drain cover outside Sue Ryder shop has been reported.
5.9 Item 6.7 Lib Dem poster: this has been reported
5.10 Item 6.10 Church St/The Sands: Ludovic has spoken to Peter Forsyth – the 2001 Traffic Management Plan drawn up was not formally adopted – this would cover this problem along with the disabled parking bay situation. Should this be brought forward by the new Administration these problems would be addressed. Norman thought that nothing much will happen until the retail position is known (ie Tesco etc).
5.11 Item 8.2 Signatories: Emily not dealt with this yet. Will get onto it. Action EA
5.12Item 9.7 Brunton Hall Feasibility Study: Norman has sent this away.
5.13 Item 16.1 Website: Jan got a thank-you card from Simon for the £200. He said that the website is coming along nicely.
6. Councillors Corner
6.1 Court Street: Fiona reported uneven paving stones in front of the Court buildings.
6.2 Water leak/Court St: the pipe below the Bank of Scotland has started leaking water again. It would appear that they are working on this problem.
6.3 Election poster: Christian Party poster still up opposite the Corn Exchange.
6.4 EL Learning Partnership Conference: Fiona had attended this and wondered about bringing on young members of the community to the Community Council. The Constitution was checked and the minimum age was found to be 16. The young person could be co-opted on but would not have a casting vote. Jan pointed out that there are at present no vacancies on the CC.
6.5 Residents shed at Langriggs: Although Tom knows about this problem already Emily brought it to the meeting that a resident in Langriggs has been asked to pay over £300 for the use of his shed as storage for pigeon boxes. After some discussion it was decided that we need to ascertain the full details – Emily will speak to the person and advise him to write directly to whoever sent him the letter from ELC. Action EA
6.6 Herdmanflat: Effie brought up the problem of the uneven and broken slabs at Herdmanflat. She has spoken to Colin Baird – apparently housing do not have any spare money this year – she wondered if there was any other source of funding to sort out this long-standing problem. Tom said he would have a word with the relevant people. Action TT
6.7 Sidegate/speeding: Nico brought up the problem of speeding, particularly in Sidegate which is very dangerous. He wondered if there was any way cars could be prevented from parking in Sidegate. Jan said that the parked cars actually serve to slow the traffic down. Everyone agreed that this is a long-standing, ongoing problem for which there was no immediate answer.
6.8 Lade behind Aubigny: David M once again mentioned how dangerous this area is now that the trees alongside the lade have been cut down. He suggests a fence be put up before something happens.
6.9 Athelstaneford - lighting: Tom said he has already spoken to Emily re this which is still ongoing
7. Police Questions
7.1 No police were present at the meeting but Jan reported that she and John had attended a CAPP meeting with the police. They want the CC to come to them with 3 specific items which are achievable within the month. The police will report back at the next CC meeting. The CAPP meeting will be held monthly, with Jan and John in attendance for feedback.
8. Treasurer’s Report
8.1 Emily handed out the current balance sheet:-
HADDINGTON & DISTRICT COMMUNITY COUNCIL A/C as at 11th December 2007
Last month’s Balance £1,653.40
Interest £1.75 Jan’s Phone exp (Nov) £28.00
Repays on wreaths £40.00 Emily’s phone exp (Oct) £28.00
Emily’s phone exp (Nov) £28.00
Secretary’s fee (Anna) £50.00 Remembrance Day wreaths £60.00
Total £1,695.15 £194.00
New balance £1,695.15- £194.00 = £1,501.15
HADDINGTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL FESTIVAL A/C as at 11th December 2007
Last month’s balance £12,664.48
Interest £18.31 Advert Craft Fair £39.95
Fashion Show £49.94 £89.89
David Brunton ½ payment £1,600.00
Hadd Pipe Band (Rem Day) £75.00
Macro Items Xmas Fun Day £321.98
Jan (Cards) £69.97
Advert Rem Day £84.25
Simon Boak (Website) £200.00
Planning Scotland Aid £25.00
James Kerr (Fruit Xmas Service) £40.00
Book Token (Xmas Service) £10.00
Float for Xmas Fun Day £120.00
Food for Fun Day £9.89
Total Income £12,682.79 Total Expenditure £2,668.98
Cheque from the Art exhibition 11045 for £16.00 (Alistair MacNeil) not cashed
Simon Boak £200.00
Planning Aid Scotland £25.00
£225.00 not cashed
John Lockhart paid for the engraving of cup and this has been banked (£22.50)
Income from Fun Day £1,074.95
Float returned £120.00
Overcharge by Macro £30.53
(bought storage boxes for Doocot and was charged for 3 when it should have been one price for 3)
These have all been paid in but will not show till next month but thought might like to know how the Christmas Fun Day went
Advert was £49.94
Bank Statement £12,517.61
£5,000 of that amount is for a project from Haddington Recreation Club £7,517.61
9.1 Reply from Cala re access to Alderston Muir/Haldane Ave (‘looking into this matter’)
9.2 Copies of EL Countryside News/Mud in Your Eye
9.3 Reply from ELC re disabled parking in Haddington
9.4 Request for Annual Sub for ‘small society lottery’ from EL Licensing Board: £20 due
9.5 Copy of EL Draft Revised Affordable Housing Policy 2007 (Consultation period ends 11th Jan 08): Norman will look into it – response due by 11 Jan Action NL
9.6 Notices of ELC meetings (have just noticed one about Tree Preservation Order at Alderston Gardens & Roodlands, Lower Alderston Road): Norman will look into this Action NL
9.7 Details of Community Councils Capital Development Fund from Jim Lamont (current position): £100,000 available to CC’s – need matched funding to apply – this needs to be discussed further.
9.8 George Hotel (from Festival minutes): Irene has written to Paul Zochowski and Norman has emailed him about the position regarding the George Hotel and east end of the town centre. Some discussion ensued; it is believed that the new owners are planning to open in time for the festive season. Norman thought that we should defer further discussion until the January meeting.
9.9 Neighbourhood Outreach – leaflet
9.10 Letter from Helen Young, Beanston Cottages: complaining about the fact that there are no recycling uplifts in this area. Tom said that there are currently recycling targets to be met and the Council are working hard towards this although at present there may be outlying areas not covered by uplifts. Jan pointed out at this point that the sign for the recycling depot at Macmerry is pointing the wrong way. Action TT
9.11 Bridge at Begbie/Westfield: a local resident has written to the CC asking that the bridge be maintained. After some discussion this was left with Tom to take to the Council.
10. Planning – Norman passed out copies of his report
10.1 Norman suggested he request consultation on only two matters: the Maitlandfield and the Nursery proposals. He will do so and bring to the next meeting. Action NL
11.1 Walks leaflet: Effie has not heard from Nick Morgan about the leaflet.
11.2 VisitScotland: Effie and Jan have had a meeting with Jonathan Jones. We now have a contract with VisitScotland – copies of which Jan will email to members. This to be further discussed at the next Tourism meeting (7/1/08) Action JW
11.3 Heritage Forum meeting Dec: to be discussed
11.4 Walled Garden: lease needs to be extended
12. Christmas Fun Day
12.1 All thought that this went well. Colin and Dave are planning to go round the town on the sleigh on Christmas Eve. John to look into getting the sleigh to the lock-up as work needed to be done on it. Help needed for this.
12.2 Donation of sweets for Christmas Eve: Colvin said that Simon from the chip-shop has said he would donate 4 boxes of sweets (£40). The Maitlandfield donated £40 and Tesco donated £20. The CC donated a further £100. Emily will put an advert in the paper. Action EA
13. Night Out – 18th Dec at Maitlandfield
14.1 Grants Braes Burns Club: Having been deferred from the Festival Meeting it was now agreed we pay them the extra £747.90, making a total contribution of £1,747.90 from our Local Priorities budget.
14.2 Haddington Garden Trust (Haddington House): It was agreed we give them a contribution of £500.
17. Date of next Meeting: Tuesday 8h January 2008 in Council Chambers, Town House at 7.00pm.
18. Date of next Festival Meeting: Tuesday 22nd January 2008 in Town House at 7.00pm
19. Outstanding Matters Arising from previous minutes
Athelstaneford (Lighting outside hall)
Burley’s Wa’s – 12/06 it was reported that the insurance company has insisted that the area around the George Hotel be boarded up in light of a recent incident relating to a fire extinguisher being let off
Newton Port surgery car park
12/04 Old Bowling Green – name plaque: Sheena has tried to find out where the original sign is. Suggested that a new one be made if old one can’t be found (09/07)
09/06 Town House Clock tower lighting – Jan has contacted Halliday’s on numerous occasions and the lighting has still to be sorted. 13/2 Jan has had no reply to her email and Irene had no reply to a letter she sent to them last Autumn. It was decided that Irene should write again. 08/05 and 12/06 Still no reply Action IP
13/06 Hopetoun Drive – speed bumps: a request has been made to have a speed check carried out here
12/09 Broken kerb at Coop
10/10 Uneven slabs at Graeme McGraths
14/11 Mill Wynd/Millfield - fencing
Mill Wynd/West Mills – pathway
Dunbar Road – pavement a mess
09/01 Long Stay parking-disabled parking bays
13/02 Footbridge at Riverside Drive
Lighting – Sidegate and Mackays
St Ann’s Place – large puddle
Herdmanflat – broken slabs/tree roots
13/03 Nungate Bridge – light filters
Abbey Bridge – broken mirror
Ball Alley – lights
10/04 Estate Agents signs
Abbotsview/Riverside Drive – wall/broken slabs
Newton Port/Market St junction – broken sign in pavement
Guttering – High Street
Courier Office – exposed pipe in pavement
Peter Potters – broken drain
08/05 White brig – slats missing-Tom has passed this on to relevant department (12/06)
Pathway at sluice
12/06 Public toilets-one-way mirror – 11/12 Tom Trotter has spoken to Tom Shearer about this: let him know if this hasn’t been done
Rugby Club-upgrading & fencing off pitch
Nungate Bridge-needing overhaul
Oak Tree Café-untidy-needing cleared
11/09 General disrepair of the pavements in town
Gifford Road – speed bumps
Oxfam Shop – selling new goods
09/10 Signposts in Newton Port facing the wrong way
Langriggs (gates to vennels)
Gateside commerce park – lowered pavement
Alderston Muir – naming of : 11/12 Jan suggested Bob email Sheena direct regarding this
Church Street –Parking overlapping pavement
Alderston Muir – fence blocking access to Alderston Muir
The Sands-Vehicles parking on corner of Church Street and The Sands
Local Plan Inquiry –request for a copy of report.
13/11 Highways: invite Brian Cooper and/or Peter Forsyth to some of our meetings
Play area (Longcram/Acreadales): 11/12 reported
Missing drain cover outside Sue Ryder shop: 11/12 reported
Pencaitland Road – election poster: 11/12 reported
11/12 Court Street – paving stones
Bank of Scotland – water leak
Langriggs – shed
Herdmanflat – paving stones