Minutes of meeting of 8th January 2008 in Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 11th December 2007 at Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 13th November 2007 at Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 9th October 2007 at Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 11th September 2007 at Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 12th June 2007 at Council Chambers
Jan Wilson (Chair), John Golightly (Vice Chair), Emily Armatage (Treasurer), Irene Pow (Secretary) Norman Lawrie, Colvin Denholm, David Motherwell, Effie Renton, Fiona-Frances Adam, Nico de Freitas, Graeme MacGregor,
Kathryn McDowall, Janet Brent, Dave Brunton
Kirsty Gibbins (Courier), Craig Finley (EL News), Anna Faulkner (minute secretary)
3. Major Items for AOCB - none
4. Minutes of Tuesday 11th December
Approval of the minutes was proposed by Effie and seconded by John.
5. Matters Arising
5.1 Item 5.6 Play-area (Acredales): Effie had a meeting with Dave Kerr who said they have a plan of action with a suitable area in mind for a play area. He asked Effie to get together a group of residents in the area for their input.
5.2 Item 6.2 Water leak/Court St: Colvin thinks that the leak at the B of S has been sorted.
5.3 Item 6.5 Shed at Langriggs: Emily said that this has been resolved.
5.4 Item 9.8 George Hotel: There was hope that this would be open before Christmas; this is obviously not the case. Norman thought that we should write to Paul Zochowski to ask on progress of the Development Brief. Nico said he has spoken to the people working within the hotel and they have said that the plan now is to open in January. It was decided that we write to Paul to find out how the development brief is progressing. Action IP
5.5 Item 11.3 Heritage Forum meeting (Dec): Norman attended this. Response is due by 29th Feb. This to be discussed at the next Festival Meeting. Action NL
5.6 Item 12.2 Christmas Eve (sweets): Jan thanked all those who helped make this a success. Colvin thought that it may be better not to do this on Christmas Eve – he suggested the Sunday before as lots of kids were getting ready for bed when they went round. Jan also thanked Dave Brunton for his help in organising the erection of the lights.
5.7 Item from O/S items: Clock tower lights: David Motherwell asked what was happening with this – has been ongoing for a long time now. Jan said that ELC have said they would take on the maintenance . Jan said she would speak to Lilian about this and find out which department we should contact. Jan will then email the information to Irene.
6. Councillors Corner – no councillors were present at the meeting therefore Jan said that any items should be emailed direct to the councillors this month.
6.1 Cllr Trotter had sent an email via Anna to say the following points:
1) The hall lights at Athelstaneford have been actioned and will be in place soon.
2) The footpaths at Herdmanflat area are to be fixed in February
3) Still awaiting a response regarding the bridge at Begbie and will keep the CC posted
4) The footpaths in and around the town centre have been surveyed and work is carried out as needed
6.2 Athelstaneford Hall lights: Emily said that a light has been attached to the outside of the building, instead of along the footpath (which was requested). It has been attached to the hall electricity supply, is far too bright and is on a timer to come on at 4pm and turn off at midnight. Emily said there have been numerous complaints from the residents therefore it was suggested she email Tom direct. Action EA
7. Police Questions
7.1 No police were present at the meeting but Jan asked if there were any items councillors wanted them to take to the next CAPP meeting. Three items mentioned were 1) traffic jumping the lights at Ideal Garage, 2) anti-social behaviour outside some of the Pubs at closing time, 3) the ongoing problem around the provision of methadone in the local chemists. Some discussion ensued around item 3) and it was suggested that councillors email their views to Jan before the next CAPP meeting. Action Councillors
8.1 Effie reported that a sub-committee meeting was held on 7th January
8.2 History Leaflet: meeting with Norman and David M re this
8.3 Doocot: will open on 21st March until the 27th September. Effie having a meeting with the Pest Control officer on Friday. Jan is writing a letter to all the Volunteers – a meeting is to be held for them all at the Maitlandfield on 4th Feb at 7pm. An advert with the opening times etc will be posted on the website and on posters around the town.
8.4 Signage: Effie will contact Jonathan Jones regarding the signage for the doocot. Nico said he has emailed Clare and Susan re this but not received a reply as yet.
8.5 East Lothian Life magazine: we may be able to advertise here – Effie to contact Pauline Jaffray.
8.6 Council buses: Effie said they are going to write to David Berry to ask if these could be used as tourist buses (apparently there are 22 of them). Action JW
8.7 Walking Leaflets: Nick Morgan to check how many are left.
8.8 Tourism Forum AGM: to be held on the last Thursday of January.
8.9 Motor tryke tours: Colvin has a contact who may be interested in this. To look into it further.
8.10 Reinstating the pigeons: David M wants the birds to be allowed back into the doocot. Some discussion was held and the general feeling was that this would be fine if ELC would agree to clean it out every few years. A vote was held, 4 voted for the birds to come back, 3 voted against. Therefore as there were more abstaining the motion was carried. Irene to write to ELC. Action IP
9. Planning – Norman passed out copies of his report
9.1 Nursery application (Meadowpark): Some discussion was held over this application which effectively doubles the number of children the nursery can look after. The plans were looked over and it was thought that our only concern lies with the parking and traffic congestion in this area. Norman will write outlining our concerns. Action NL
9.2 24A Sidegate: Nico and Fiona gave an outline of their dealings regarding this property. Fiona had enquired (before considering putting in an offer) as to whether planning permission would be granted to develop this site. She was told in no uncertain terms that permission would not be forthcoming. Nico has also tried to buy this site and been unsuccessful. His objections to this development relate to its proximity to the hotel and the detriment to the area. Nico left the room in order for the matter to be discussed. It was agreed that we object on the grounds that it detracts from the surrounding area. Norman will action. Nico returned to the meeting. Action NL
10. Treasurer’s Report
10.1 Emily handed out the current balance sheet:-
HADDINGTON & DISTRICT COMMUNITY COUNCIL A/C as at 8th January 2008
Last month’s Balance £1,501.15
Interest £1.46 Jan’s Phone exp £28.00
Emily’s phone exp £28.00
Anna Secretary’s fee £50.00
Total £1,502.61 £106.00
New balance £1,502.61 - £106.00 = £1,396.61
HADDINGTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL FESTIVAL A/C as at 8th January 2008
Last month’s balance £12,517.61
Interest £21.64 Tax £4.32
Repayment for engraving J/L cup £22.50 Simon Boak £200.00
Float returned (Fun Day) £120.00 Planning Aid Scotland £25.00
Income from Fun Day £1,074.95 Food for Fun Day £9.87
Refund Macro £30.53 £1,105.48 Advert for Fun Day £49.94
Grant Braes Refund £1,000.00 Jan Stamps £30.00
Handbook Payments £600.00 T/H fish bar payment for
Santa sweets £143.00
Total Income £15,387.23 Total Expenditure £462.13
New balance £15,387.23 - £462.13 = £14,925.10
Money for Santa run
Comm Council cheque £143.00 Used £20.00 Tesco token for 4 tins of sweets
Nico cash £39.52
Invoice from Fish Bar £182.52 Colvin will know how many boxes the T/H fish bar paid for,
36 boxes also they paid the VAT
There are two entries I do not agree with; Jan’s £20 cheque and Handbook payment. I have been to the bank and it is being looked into. I also have the mandate from the bank for a 3rd signature for Irene to sign.
10.2 Simon Boak: Jan suggested we ask him to a meeting to take some photos – would give him some recognition of his hard work and also promote the website. This was agreed.
11.1 Copy of Homefront (Newsletter for tenants of ELC)
11.2 Copy of Speaking Out (East Lothian Involvement Group for mental health services)
11.3 Reply from Community Service re cleaning the Tyne: Irene read out the reply which said that the Comm Svce team would be delighted to carry out this work and will monitor the river over the next months as the cleaning would normally be undertaken during the summer months when the river is generally running at a lower level.
11.4 Jan had an email from Wayne Blyth regarding with information which he thought would be of interest on our Website. This relates to Sean Connery’s time spent in Haddington. It was decided that this would be of interest and inclusion to the website was agreed.
12. Local Priorities
12.1 Christmas lights: Jan said a meeting needs to be held to find out what lights are needed. Some complaints were received about the lights this year – some were never lit, particularly in Market Street. Effie asked that the press put something in the paper to explain that some of the street lights were not working and were reported to ELC before Christmas – these were not fixed and therefore the Christmas lights would not work as they are linked to the street lighting. This was out-with our control and there was nothing we could do about it. It was also reported that all the old wiring needs to be replaced, along with the junction boxes – this to be funded from the LP budget.
13. Craft Fair – Saturday 23rd Feb. Set up Friday 22nd at 3pm. Help required.
14.1 Haddington Garden Trust: Jan said that Roger Kirby asked if he could attend one of our meetings – he would like to give a short talk about their plans and thank the CC for the recent donation. Agreed.
14.2 Affordable Housing Policy 2007: Norman has a draft copy of this. Needs to be responded to. After a short discussion it was decided Norman write and say we have no further comments but that we would like to be kept informed each year on how many affordable houses have actually been provided. Action NL
15. Date of next Meeting: Tuesday 12h February 2008 in Council Chambers, Town House at 7.00pm.
16. Date of next Festival Meeting: Tuesday 22nd January 2008 in Town House (Bar Lounge) at 7.00pm
17. Outstanding Matters Arising from previous minutes
Athelstaneford (Lighting outside hall): a wall light has been installed but this is not what the CC had asked for; Emily to email Tom about this Action EA
Burley’s Wa’s – 12/06 it was reported that the insurance company has insisted that the area around the George Hotel be boarded up in light of a recent incident relating to a fire extinguisher being let off
12/04 Old Bowling Green – name plaque: Sheena has tried to find out where the original sign is. Suggested that a new one be made if old one can’t be found (09/07)
09/06 Town House Clock tower lighting – Jan has contacted Halliday’s on numerous occasions and the lighting has still to be sorted. 13/2 Jan has had no reply to her email and Irene had no reply to a letter she sent to them last Autumn. It was decided that Irene should write again. 08/05 and 12/06 Still no reply Action IP
13/06 Hopetoun Drive – speed bumps: a request has been made to have a speed check carried out here
12/09 Broken kerb at Coop
10/10 Uneven slabs at Graeme McGraths
14/11 Mill Wynd/Millfield - fencing
Mill Wynd/West Mills – pathway
Dunbar Road – pavement a mess
09/01 Long Stay parking-disabled parking bays
13/02 Footbridge at Riverside Drive
Lighting – Sidegate and Mackays
St Ann’s Place – large puddle
Herdmanflat – broken slabs/tree roots
13/03 Nungate Bridge – light filters
Abbey Bridge – broken mirror
Ball Alley – lights
10/04 Estate Agents signs
Abbotsview/Riverside Drive – wall/broken slabs
Newton Port/Market St junction – broken sign in pavement
Guttering – High Street
Courier Office – exposed pipe in pavement
Peter Potters – broken drain
08/05 White brig – slats missing-Tom has passed this on to relevant department (12/06)
Pathway at sluice
12/06 Public toilets-one-way mirror – 11/12 Tom Trotter has spoken to Tom Shearer about this: let him know if this hasn’t been done
Rugby Club-upgrading & fencing off pitch
Nungate Bridge-needing overhaul
Oak Tree Café-untidy-needing cleared
11/09 General disrepair of the pavements in town
Gifford Road – speed bumps
Oxfam Shop – selling new goods
09/10 Signposts in Newton Port facing the wrong way
Langriggs (gates to vennels)
Gateside commerce park – lowered pavement
Alderston Muir – naming of : 11/12 Jan suggested Bob email Sheena direct regarding this
Church Street –Parking overlapping pavement
Alderston Muir – fence blocking access to Alderston Muir
The Sands-Vehicles parking on corner of Church Street and The Sands
Local Plan Inquiry –request for a copy of report.
13/11 Highways: invite Brian Cooper and/or Peter Forsyth to some of our meetings
Play area (Longcram/Acreadales): 11/12 reported
Missing drain cover outside Sue Ryder shop: 11/12 reported
Pencaitland Road – election poster: 11/12 reported
11/12 Court Street – paving stones - reported
Herdmanflat – paving stones - reported