Royal Burgh of Haddington and District Community Council
Minutes of meeting of 9th October 2007 in Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 11th September 2007 at Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 12th June 2007 at Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 8th May 2007 at Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 10th April 2007 at Council Chambers
Minutes of meeting of 13th March 2007 at Council Chambers
Jan Wilson (Chair), John Golightly (Vice Chair), Emily Armatage (Treasurer), Irene Pow (Corr Secretary),
Norman Lawrie, Colvin Denholm, Janet Brent, David Motherwell, Ruth Moncrieff, Graeme MacGregor,
Kathryn McDowall, Fiona-Frances Adam, Bob Oliver
Cllr Ludovic Broun-Lindsay (ELC), Cllr Sheena Richardson (ELC), PC John Douglas, Neil Aitchison (Courier), Craig Finlay East Lothian News, Anna Faulkner (minute secretary)
2. Apologies: Nico de Freitas, Cllr Tom Trotter, Dave Brunton, Effie Renton
3. Major Items for AOCB – none
4. Welcome to new Councillors
4.1 Jan officially welcomed the new members, Kathryn, Fiona-Frances and Bob to the meeting. She also said that Dave was not at the meeting due to the fact that his father died recently – Emily will arrange to send a card from the CC.
5. Minutes of Tuesday 11th September
5.1 Minor spelling errors were corrected (McDowall, Knox and Lydgait)
5.2 Item 8.3 The police device mentioned is for monitoring noise emissions and not exhaust, as stated in the minutes.
Approval of the minutes was proposed by John and seconded by Colvin.
6. Matters Arising
6.1 Item 6.6 Newton Port: Norman confirmed that a site visit was conducted on Saturday 15th around 1pm. The 3 ELC councillors were present, along with the Moncrieffs. Everyone was in agreement that it is a dangerous stretch of road and that something does need to be done to make it safer. PC Douglas said that PC Gunn has been in touch with Colin Baird and Brian Cooper, plus the Chief Insp of Traffic Division. Traffic Div have suggested we should be writing direct to Brian Cooper. Sheena said that Colin Baird has taken photos of the site but until it is known what Tesco’s plans is then nothing will be decided by ELC. Sheena did confirm though that ELC are going to have SLOW painted at both ends of this dangerous area. Fiona-Frances wondered if Tesco would be willing to help pay for traffic lights to be installed – Ludovic thought this unlikely.
6.2 Fashion Show: Emily said that she needed help on the night (Thurs 25th Oct). Kathryn said she would be there.
6.3 Item 7.3 Gifford Gate: Norman confirmed that he wrote a letter to Landscape & Countryside on 20th Sept. This was also circulated to Colin Baird, Maree Johnston and Nick Morgan. This was a complex matter and it is not clear who is responsible for this area. Norman will copy his letter to the 3 councillors. Sheena said that all the litter has been cleared and the greenery cut back. She agreed that the lighting was still a problem – ELC have problems with SSEB maintaining and repairing lighting. Action NL
6.4 Item 7.7 Bottom of Cockles Brae (dead tree): Ludovic said he has brought this to the attention of the land owner.
6.5 Item 7.8 Water leak (Bay Horse): This has been fixed.
6.6 Item 7.9 Corner of Sidegate/High Street (sunken drain): Ludovic has spoken to Peter Forsyth about this.
6.7 Item 7.11 Local Plan Enquiry: Jan asked if planning had produced a statement yet – the answer from the councillors was no. They have not seen the full report but will let us know when this becomes available.
6.8 Item 9.2 Cheque for the Guides: John has not spoken with Lorraine about this. Emily said that she needs it in writing that they have written this off. Action JG
6.9 Local Priorities: Jan said that they can tap into the £100,000 (Capital Funding) but to do so we have to match fund this (but we are not allowed to use Local Priorities money). Applications to this fund need to be in by beginning of November. John asked why the CC was responsible for things such as the town entrances – surely the responsibility for this lies with ELC. Norman said that the CC was not responsible for this but we are responsible for taking the initiative to do something about them. Jan said that she has spoken to Stuart Pryde about the entrances and he will meet with her for a site visit. Emily and Norman will also go. Action JW
6.10 Item Inter-town Sports: Emily still doesn’t know if Val has a timetable. Will send by post to Val. Action EA
6.11 Item 10.7 Friend of Planning Aid: Emily wondered if she was supposed to have written a cheque for this. Norman thought that we could benefit from this. It was agreed that we go ahead with this. Action EA/NL
6.12 Item 12.3Visitor Centre: Norman pointed out that the Noticeboard now has the times for the Visitor Centre but they fail to point out that it is now closed for the winter. Jan will do a flyer. Action JW
6.13 O/S items:
14/03/06 Athelstaneford – Lighting: the Council are looking into funding for lighting outside the hall.
12/12 Skateboard ramp: lighting has been fixed
09/01/07 Disabled Parking bays: Fiona-Frances thought it was a disgrace that there was only one disabled parking area in the whole town centre. This is outside the CAB office in Market Street. Quite often it will be used by those not entitled to as well as vehicles parking across the dropped pavements. Ludovic agreed that it was not an ideal situation and that enforcing and monitoring was the problem (as well as the distinct lack of disabled parking bays in the town). Jan suggested that the papers mention this and make it clear that the wardens will be paying close attention to these areas. This will hopefully deter motorists from parking here.
7. Councillors Corner
7.1 Cala Homes/Haldane Ave: Jan has received a letter from a resident about the difficulty of access between Alderston Muir and the road linking Haldane Avenue with the B6471. A temporary fence has blocked access between these two areas for 2 years now – it is difficult for pedestrians and cyclists to use this route. Sheena said that this route will eventually be pedestrianised but this has been delayed due to objections from some residents. It was agreed that the CC write to Cala to ask them in the meantime to make this more accessible for pedestrians. Action IP
7.2 Church Street: Jan said that it has been noted that cars are parking so that part of their cars are overlapping the pavement. This makes it difficult and dangerous for pedestrians to use the pavement and in particular for the people who use the Day Centre, many of which are frail. Wheelchairs users also find it difficult to negotiate the pavement when the cars are parking like this. Ludovic said the obvious solution would be to widen the pavements – the only barrier to this was having the funding to do it!
7.3 The Sands: Jan has also had a letter from residents in the Sands complaining about people parking right up to the corner – this at times has prevented the refuse lorries from getting through and resident’s bins have been left un-emptied.
7.4 Signposts: some of the signposts in Market Street and Newton Port have been slewed around. Norman said that the one for the recycling centre points straight up Newton Port! Action SR/LB-L
7.5 Gates to vennels (Langriggs): a resident has written to Jan complaining about the disruption from youths in this area and asking when they can expect the gates to be installed. Sheena said that this is ongoing and there are all sorts of legal areas to sort out. Jan will email this particular resident and let them know that this is still being dealt with. Action JW
7.6 Railway Hotel: John said that the toby in the pavement has no cap on it. This has been reported 4 or 5 times and nothing has been done about it. Action SR/LB-L
7.7 Smoking in Council vans: Colvin asked what the policy was regarding council employees smoking in works vans. It was agreed that this is not allowed but that if the employees are outside then smoking is permitted.
7.8 Market Street: Colvin asked why the barriers were still up around the tree opposite the chip shop. They have been there for over a year. It was explained that the barriers were there because the roots of the tree are pushing the slabs up and the tree cannot be removed as it is probably covered by a preservation order.
7.9 John Muir House: Fiona-Frances lives opposite the entrance to John Muir House and they are being plagued by seagulls. She thinks someone nearby must be feeding them. The mess they make is awful and they have been known to dive bomb onto people as they walk past.
7.10 River Tyne: Kathryn asked who was responsible for cleaning up the river. This is a subject which has been brought up many times. We do have a list of owners of certain sections of the river and ELC are responsible for some sections. The Angling Society has also cleared some sections in the past.
7.11 Gateside: Bob said that there is a section of the road at Gateside Commerce Park which is higher than the pavement. This could be dangerous to motorists. Action SR/LB-L
7.12 Alderston Muir: Bob asked why Alderston Muir has now become Alderston Gardens. Sheena said that normally councillors are informed of these things. She will look into it Action SR
7.13 Transportation: Ludovic suggested that we think about inviting Brian Cooper and/or Peter Forsyth to some of our meetings as a lot of the problems raised relate to highways/pathways etc. It was agreed that this was a good idea.
7.14 Cultural Centre: Jan said that it had been reported in the papers that this development was being put on hold. Sheena said that there was a Cultural & Heritage Strategy Document that was currently being looked at and there was no suggestion that Haddington would not be getting the centre. Jan was upset as at a recent meeting some members of the North Berwick CC were very scathing towards Haddington and asked why we always got everything. This is not the case – Haddington at present has the worst library provision in the county. After some discussion it was agreed that Norman get hold of a copy of this document (Heritage Strategy Document) to allow further discussion. Action NL
8. Police Questions
8.1 Lennox Road: Colvin said that about 3 weeks ago there was a reported incident of a youth giving rides on a scooter. It was confirmed that a complaint was received by the police and that the person in question has been caught and charged.
8.2 Hardgate: Bob brought up the problem of parking on the east side of Hardgate (outside the Indian restaurant). This is such a narrow stretch of road that it frequently causes gridlock when buses and lorries try to negotiate this stretch of road. He thought that a one-way system would prevent this.
8.3 Haldane Avenue: Bob also pointed out problems with speeding motorists in Haldane Avenue, in particular cars coming in from the west. Could the council put in sensors to warn motorists to slow down?
8.4 Chip shop: Emily said that cars were once again parking here and causing an obstruction. PC Douglas said they would target this area again. Action PC Douglas
8.5 Station Yard: John said that the boy racers are congregating here and leaving behind all their rubbish. PC Douglas said they would also target this area. Action PC Douglas
9. Treasurer’s Report
9.1 Emily handed out the current balance sheet:-
HADDINGTON & DISTRICT COMMUNITY COUNCIL A/C as at 9th October 2007
Last month’s Balance £1,945.87
Interest Aug £1.90 Jan’s Phone exp (3 mths) £84.00
Sept £1.63 Emily’s phone exp (3 mths) £84.00
Secretary’s fee (Anna) £50.00
Total £1,949.40 £218.00
New balance £1,949.40- £218.00 = £1,731.40
HADDINGTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL FESTIVAL A/C as at 9th October 2007
Last month’s balance £9,497.09
Interest Aug £15.43 Tax Aug £3.08
Sept £13.80 Sept £2.76
Knox Academy Support Group £25.00 Stamps £256.32
Float returned £100.00 Float £100.00
Income from Craft Fair £505.00 Food for Craft Fair £20.49
Donation from St Mary’s playgrp £60.00 £23.99
Tourism Office £54.30 ELC Sports Plus Food £95.00 **
Courier Advert Craft Fair £39.95
Licences for Art Exh/Fashion Show £20.00
Jan Ink cartridges £68.98 **
Janice Young Rosettes Festival £83.50 **
Garleton Graphics Handbook £1,431.42 **
New balance £10,270.62 – £2,145.49 = £8,125.13
** Cheques not cashed
11005 £95.00 Sports Plus
11008 £68.98 Jan
11009 £83.50 Real Rosettes
11010 £1,431.42 Handbook printing
Bank statement reads £9,804.03
10. Planning – Norman passed out copies of his report
10.1 Vets Surgery proposals: Bob said that he had had a letter from the surgery and also spoken to them and they have withdrawn their proposal to instal a cattle crush. They said that they have been looking for a more suitable site for the past 4/5 years. Norman said that he and David Motherwell had looked at the proposed site and also the Peppercraig site as an alternative. It was suggested that the council is remiss in not providing enough commercial sites for the town.
11.1 Notices of East Lothian Council meetings
11.2 Copies of Tenant Participation Newsletter
11.3 Copy of ELVON Newsletter
11.4 Draft Statement of Licensing Policy (reply by 24th October): Colvin took this to have a look at – will report to the next Festival meeting.
11.5 ‘How we perform’ Statutory Performance Indicators
11.6 Copies of Surgery Notices for Iain Gray MSP
11.7 Emily received a note from the Twinning Association thanking her for representing the CC and saying that they will continue to send out the minutes until Nico takes over as representative of the CC.
11.7 Letters to CC candidates
11.8 Reply to Lidl suggesting they contact ELC
12.1 Get together: Jan said that the invites were still to be sent out – this has been delayed because of the mail strike. Jan can phone round the volunteers.
13. Armistice Service
13.1 The service will be held on 11th November therefore the rehearsal will be on 10th Nov at 10am. Irene will contact the new minister. All CC members to provide sandwiches and biscuits. Action ALL
14. Christmas Lights
14.1 Jan has been in touch with Hallidays who have declined to erect our lights this year. Jan has been in touch with Mike Foy who put her onto a David Evans (1st Platform Rentals Ltd) who can provide us with a platform lorry at a reasonable cost. He said he would provide the lorry for free – we would just pay for the driver (3 days at £260 per day). Jan has also spoken to Dave Brunton who said he would try to get a squad of four men from the fire service to erect the lights. Jan suggested we pay them £1000 each to erect and dismantle the lights (over three Sundays). Some debate ensued over this suggested payment – some felt that this was a little excessive and therefore a revised figure of £800 per man was suggested by Emily. This was seconded by Janet and Irene.
14.1 Cala Homes: Jan said she had been contacted by a media company who deal with Cala. They said that Cala want to contribute to a community project. Jan not sure what this is about – will find out more and bring to the next meeting.
15. Festival Update – already discussed
16. AOCB - none
17. Date of next Meeting: Tuesday 13h November 2007 in Council Chambers, Town House at 7.00pm.
18. Date of next Festival Meeting: Tuesday 23rd October 2007 in Town House at 7.00pm
19. Outstanding Matters Arising from previous minutes
Athelstaneford (Lighting outside hall)
Burley’s Wa’s – 12/06 it was reported that the insurance company has insisted that the area around the George Hotel be boarded up in light of a recent incident relating to a fire extinguisher being let off
Newton Port surgery car park
12/04 Old Bowling Green – name plaque: Sheena has tried to find out where the original sign is. Suggested that a new one be made if old one can’t be found (09/07)
09/06 Town House Clock tower lighting – Jan has contacted Halliday’s on numerous occasions and the lighting has still to be sorted. 13/2 Jan has had no reply to her email and Irene had no reply to a letter she sent to them last Autumn. It was decided that Irene should write again. 08/05 and 12/06 Still no reply Action IP
Potholes at Florabank – Ann believed this to be sorted but Norman pointed out that further potholes are present just round in Templedean Action AMcC
Fencing at Oak Tree Café
13/06 Hopetoun Drive – speed bumps: a request has been made to have a speed check carried out here
12/09 Broken kerb at Coop
10/10 Uneven slabs at Graeme McGraths
14/11 Mill Wynd/Millfield - fencing
Mill Wynd/West Mills – pathway
Dunbar Road – pavement a mess
09/01 Long Stay parking-disabled parking bays
13/02 Footbridge at Riverside Drive
Lighting – Sidegate and Mackays
St Ann’s Place – large puddle
Town Taxis -parking
Herdmanflat – broken slabs/tree roots
13/03 Nungate Bridge – light filters
Abbey Bridge – broken mirror
Ball Alley – lights
10/04 Estate Agents signs
Abbotsview/Riverside Drive – wall/broken slabs
Newton Port/Market St junction – broken sign in pavement
Guttering – High Street
Courier Office – exposed pipe in pavement
Peter Potters – broken drain
08/05 White brig – slats missing-Tom has passed this on to relevant department (12/06)
Pathway at sluice
12/06 Public toilets-one-way mirror
Potholes – Knox
Waterside Bistro-litter lying about
Rugby Club-upgrading & fencing off pitch
Nungate Bridge-needing overhaul
Oak Tree Café-untidy-needing cleared
11/09 General disrepair of the pavements in town
Gifford Road – speed bumps
Gifford Gate - pathway
Gourlaybank – potholes
Oxfam Shop – selling new goods
Bottom of cockles – Ludovic has brought this to the attention of the landowner
09/10 Signposts in Newton Port facing the wrong way
Langriggs (gates to vennels)
Railway Hotel – missing cap on toby
Seagulls at JMH
Gateside commerce park – lowered pavement
Alderston Muir – naming of
Church Street –Parking overlapping pavement
Alderston Muir – fence blocking access to Alderston Muir
The Sands-Vehicles parking on corner of Church Street and The Sands
Local Plan Inquiry –request for a copy of report.