Royal Burgh of Haddington and District Community Council
Minutes of meeting of 11th September 2007 in Council Chambers
Jan Wilson (Chair), John Golightly (Vice Chair), Emily Armatage (Treasurer), Irene Pow (Corr Secretary),
Norman Lawrie, Effie Renton, Colvin Denholm, Janet Brent, David Motherwell
Cllr Ludovic Broun-Lindsay, Cllr Sheena Richardson, PC Stuart Gunn, Neil Aitchison (Courier), Craig Finlay East Lothian News, Anna Faulkner (minute secretary)
2. Apologies: Ruth Moncrieff
3. Major Items for AOCB – none
Jan welcomed Ludovic to the meeting. She also had a number of announcements to make –
Regretfully David McManus has decided to stand down from the Community Council due to family commitments. Jan suggested he be offered an honorary position with the CC. This was agreed.
Also, Marianne Andrews has also regretfully handed in her resignation – her husband has moved jobs
Angela Lockhart has offered to hold a Fashion Show to raise funds for the Christmas Lights Appeal. This will be held on 25th October at 7.30pm in Mackays. It was agreed that the CC pay for the drinks licence. Emily will arrange this (£10). Action EA
4. CC Applications
Jan welcomed the prospective candidates to the meeting. They each gave a quick run- down of who they were:
Kathryn McDowell is a local resident who helps out at St Mary’s Church, as well as the Visitor Centre
Nico de Freitas is the owner of the Maitlandfield Hotel and past chair of East Lothian Tourism Forum.
Fiona-Frances Adam is a local business person and is on the Public Partnership Forum
Bob Oliver (who wasn’t present at the meeting) has lived all his life in Haddington and was involved with the local scout group.
Jan thanked the candidates for coming and said that a decision would be made and they would be informed shortly whether they had been successful. [At the end of the meeting a short discussion was held and it was agreed to invite all four onto the Community Council]
5. Minutes of Tuesday 12th June
5.1 Item 7.7: Norman pointed out that Goodal’s Place should be spelled Goodall’s
Approval of the minutes was proposed by John and seconded by Janet.
6. Matters Arising
6.1 Item 5.5 Library: The library have told us that our donation of £200 will not cover the purchase of a bench so they will try to get additional funding from elsewhere.
6.2 Item 7.2 Know Academy: Effie said that some of the potholes at the entrance had been filled in but a large hole has not been touched. Action SR
6.3 Item 7.5 Nungate Bridge: David Motherwell said that the bridge had still not been done. It would appear that the east side has seen some maintenance but the rest is still full of holes. Sheena suggested that we make a list of all our problems and send it in directly to the relevant department. Jan said that we had done this before and not received a reply and that by bringing it up at the meeting it was minuted – giving us a record of what had been said. Colvin suggested we send in a copy of out outstanding items – it was pointed out that Lilian will already have a copy of this as she gets the full minutes each month. Action SR
6.4 Item 7.6 East Garleton/Athelstaneford: Emily said that the grass was cut the very next day after this item was brought up.
6.5 Item 7.7 Access at Goodall’s Place: The road markings have been done here.
6.6 Item 8.2 Newton Port: Norman suggested a site visit to this area. It was suggested that a couple of different times would give a true picture of the problems eg 5pm on a week day and perhaps mid morning on a Saturday. It was suggested that we involve the Moncrieffs as well as the Councillors and also someone like Colin Baird from ELC. The suggested date was 15th September. Norman will contact the Moncrieffs and will write to Colin Baird to invite him to attend. Ludovic suggested that the police have a monitoring device which could be used to monitor the speed and volume of traffic. Action NL
6.7 Item 10.1 George Hotel: Norman believed that the ownership had changed and wondered if the Councillors had any idea of what was planned for this building. He was aware that Paul Zochowski was apparently working on a development brief – was there anything forthcoming regards this. Neither Councillor was aware of anything at this time. Sheena said that she has asked for a design plan for the colour scheme for the town centre. She will let the CC know when this becomes available.
6.8 Item 10.4 Festival of Flowers: This went very well with approx £3000 being raised.
6.9 Item 10.5 Common Good Funds: Emily asked for a copy of this. Irene will do. Action IP
6.10 Item 10.6 Assoc of EL Comm. Councils AGM: Emily attended and said it was a very good meeting.
6.11 O/S items:
12/04 Sheena has tried to find the name plaque for the Old Bowling Green. She wondered about creating a new sign if the old one cannot be found.
12/06 West Road hedges have been cut
7. Councillors Corner
7.1 Pavements: John brought up the matter of the disrepair of a lot of the pavements and gullies around the town. Apparently someone had fallen due to uneven pavements outside the Conservative Club. Sheena said that they are aware of the situation and that it has been estimated that road repairs in East Lothian will cost in the region of £70 million.
7.2 Gifford Road: Effie has been approached by a resident asking if speed bumps can be considered for the top of Gifford Road/Briery Bank. Also, further down the road, behind the garages there is a van parked there and is an eyesore.
7.3 Gifford Gate: Effie also said that on the pathway here there are trees needing some attention. Cala apparently said that they would do something about this. Norman said that he was aware of a similar complaint and was willing to write a detailed letter to Landscape & Countryside Dept. setting out the problems in this area. Action SR/NL
7.4 Gourlaybank - potholes: Really deep potholes are evident here. Action SR/LB-L
7.5 Oxfam Shop: some local shop keepers are not happy that they are selling a wide range of new goods. Ludovic said that they are aware of this and there is a % limit to the number of new goods they can supply. Trading Standards do monitor situations like this. Sheena said she would have a look at this. Action SR/LB-L
7.6 Caravans parking in residential areas: Colvin asked what the position was regarding this. PC Gunn said that this was not illegal unless it was causing an obstruction. The council though can write to the owner to make them aware of the situation.
7.7 Bottom of Cockles: Colvin said that there was a dangerous looking tree here which looks like it’s ready to come down. Action SR/LB-L
7.8 Water Leak: Emily pointed out that there is a water leak outside the Bay Horse at the bottom of Market Street
7.9 Corner of Sidegate/High Street: Jan said that the road around a small drain had sunk causing the drain to stick above therefore causing a danger to car tyres. Action SR?B-L
7.10 Tyne Close: sunken drain at the end of Tyne Close. Action SR/LB-L
7.11 Local Plan Enquiry: Jan asked the councillors for an update. Sheena said that there was nothing as yet. There will be a synopsis produced but as far as she is aware not much has changed.
7.12 Gowl Close: David Motherwell said that this needs some attention. Water runs down as there is no drain and the ivy needs to be cut back. Further down the close is all overgrown also. Action SR/LB-L
8. Police Questions
8.1 Newton Port: PC Gunn said that he would look into getting a traffic monitoring device for this area (see previous item 6.6 re site-visit) Action PC Gunn
8.2 Parked cars: John asked if there was a minimum legal distance cars can park near a junction/corner. PC Gunn said that it is roughly 15-18 feet but that if a vehicle was deemed to be causing an obstruction or was a danger in any way they can have it removed and the owner charged. John said that there was a van parked regularly at the Ian Glass garage, also a vehicle near the postbox at the Newton Port end of Lydgate. Action PC Gunn
8.3 Boy Racers: John said that they have now moved to Station Yard. PC Gunn was not aware of a problem here and suggested that residents take a note of registration numbers and that they can have a word with the individuals. PC Gunn said that they also have a new monitoring device for exhaust emissions.
8.4 Update: PC Gunn said that the initiative re under-aged drinking in the town is ongoing. More foot patrols have been operating over the past 7 weeks. Present by-laws regarding the consumption of alcohol in the town centre helps in controlling this and they are hoping that this will be extended to encompass the whole town.
PC Gunn also said that they have a couple of new officers – Superintendant McIver and Chief Inspector Scott.
9. Treasurer’s Report
9.1 Emily handed out the current balance sheet along with the Weekly Sheets from the Festival:-
HADDINGTON & DISTRICT COMMUNITY COUNCIL A/C as at 11th September 2007
Balance June meeting £988.74
Interest May £0.59 Jan’s Phone exp £28.00
June £0.75 Emily’s phone exp £28.00
July £1.79 Secretary’s fee (Anna) £50.00
ELC Admin Grant £1,060.00
Total £2,051.87 £106.00
New balance £2,051.87- £106.00 = £1,945.87
HADDINGTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL FESTIVAL A/C as at 11th September 2007
Festival week report is on separate sheets
Interest May £17.63 Tax May £3.52
June £17.05 June £3.41
July £17.93 July £3.59
Late payment Knox £25.00 Engraving John Lockhart trophy £22.50
Jan Viking Direct £93.60
Donation Flower Festival £80.00
Flowers for Jan £20.00
Jan Premium Ink Supply £48.96
Jan Website £29.99
Haddington Churches Group £1,000
Jan Viking Direct £17.51
Numedia Printing Leaflets (half) £665.00
Stamps for Jan £256.32
Bank statement reads £9,497.09
All cheques have been presented except stamps one £9,497.09
9.2 Cheque for the Guides: Emily said that the cheque given to the Guides for £200 has still not been cashed. John said that he had spoken to Lorraine and they said to forget about it as they must have lost it.
9.3 Cheque for £62 – Bowling Club have not cashed their cheque and the library did not use the money
9.4 Abstract of Accounts: the accounts were proposed by John and seconded by Effie.
9.5 Local Priorities Money: Norman asked why these monies did not appear on the Annual Accounts. Jan said that they never have as we never actually have the money – we just have the use of the money – it is all done through ELC. This is all accounted for on the Local Priorities List.
10.1 Notices of East Lothian Council meetings and copy of Minutes
10.2 Copy of newsletter from Assoc of Scottish Community Councils and questionnaire (by 1st Oct)
10.3 Copy of Summer newsletter for Tenants of East Lothian Council
10.4 Copies of East Lothian Countryside news (Mud in your Eye)
10.5 Annual reports from East Lothian Housing Assoc and East Lothian Care & Repair
10.6 Annual Report from East Lothian Tenants and Residents Panel
10.7 Application form to become a Friend of Planning Aid for Scotland (£25 annual subscription)
10.8 Letter of introduction from Kenneth Black, Antisocial Behaviour Co-ordinator for ELC
10.9 Copies of ‘Signpost to Funding’ brochures (contains a list of sources of external funding)
10.10 Letter from Robert Robb re ‘danger to pedestrians using the Abbey Bridge walk’: has sent a letter to Tom Trotter. Bring to next Festival meeting
10.11 Request from EL Horticultural Society for this years’ sponsorship money
10.12 Letter from ELC re extra money available to CC’s (given to Jan)
10.13 Reminder that we contact Stuart Pryde re entrances to Haddington
10.14 Brochure for EL Food Festival (28-30Sept)
10.15 Letter from Lidl re their expansion programme. They are seeking our advice on opportunities for development in Haddington. It was decided that we write to them and suggest they contact ELC direct. Action IP
10.16 Local Priorities: Effie asked if we can put an article in the paper stating where the money is spent?
10.17 Jan had letter from Stuart Pryde re the town entrances. He is willing to meet with us and suggested a site visit – Jan will arrange. Action JW
10.18 North Sea Trail Day leaflet
10.19 Notice re Heritage Strategy Meeting
10.20 Water Watch Scotland
10.21 Local Area Co-ordinator Event 12th Sept 1.30-3.30: lunch provided. David Motherwell may attend
10.22 Inter-town Sports: 3rd and 4th November - Val has agreed to coordinate this again and has asked for support on the day. The cost of the catering is £95 – Emily will send cheque. Action EA
10.23 Letters to applicants for CC vacancies
11. Planning – Norman passed out copies of his report
11.1 Corn Exchange: Norman has run off copies of the application. It is now too late to request consultation but it was agreed that he bring to the next Festival meeting. Action NL
11.2 Vets Surgery proposals: some concern has been raised by residents to the proposal to build a new vet surgery at Alderston Field, Haldane Avenue. HADAS are also going to object to this proposal. It seems that the residents feel that it’s a done deal as the land belongs to ELC. Norman said that he would request consultation and bring to the next Festival meeting. Action NL
12.1 Handbook: Jan said that the only area to be delivered is the Seggarsdean/Briery Bank areas.
12.2 Effie asked what the position was regarding the new leaflet. Jan said she has emailed Alan Meadows with some changes. Some additions are also still needed.
12.3 Visitor Centre: Effie said that they have recorded 1300 visitors this season so far. One comment has been on the lack of signage for the Centre. Effie has spoken to Clare about it – VisitScotland are not very happy about it either. Effie has asked all summer for opening times to be put in the Noticeboard – this has never been done. Norman pointed out that we also need to have the times that the centre is closing for the winter ie 22nd September.
12.4 Filing Cabinet: Effie said that we could do with getting some more plastic storage boxes. She said that Clare will speak to Tom Shearer to ask if they can be stored in the Doocot.
12.5 Get together: Effie said she would like to organise a get together to say thank you to all the volunteers who have helped at the Centre. She already has about 52 names for next year – more people came forward from the articles in the local papers. Jan suggested having it after the Festival meeting in October. Effie only has telephone numbers for some of the volunteers – Norman though it would be nicer to send them an official invite. Action ER
13. Inter-town Sports – already discussed
14. Local Priorities
14.1 Christmas Lights: Jan has already contacted Hallidays and asked for a detailed costing and schedule of works.
15. Local Plan Enquiry – already discussed
16. Festival Update – hold over to Festival Meeting
17. Date of next Meeting: Tuesday 9th October 2007 in Council Chambers, Town House at 7.00pm.
18. Date of next Festival Meeting: Tuesday 25th September 2007 in Town House at 7.00pm
19. Outstanding Matters Arising from previous minutes
Athelstaneford (Lighting outside hall)
Burley’s Wa’s – 12/06 it was reported that the insurance company has insisted that the area around the George Hotel be boarded up in light of a recent incident relating to a fire extinguisher being let off
Newton Port surgery car park
12/04 Old Bowling Green – name plaque: Sheena has tried to find out where the original sign is. Suggested that a new one be made if old one can’t be found (09/07)
09/06 Town House Clock tower lighting – Jan has contacted Halliday’s on numerous occasions and the lighting has still to be sorted. 13/2 Jan has had no reply to her email and Irene had no reply to a letter she sent to them last Autumn. It was decided that Irene should write again. 08/05 and 12/06 Still no reply Action IP
Potholes at Florabank – Ann believed this to be sorted but Norman pointed out that further potholes are present just round in Templedean Action AMcC
Fencing at Oak Tree Café
13/06 Hopetoun Drive – speed bumps: a request has been made to have a speed check carried out here
12/09 Broken kerb at Coop
10/10 Uneven slabs at Graeme McGraths
14/11 Mill Wynd/Millfield - fencing
Mill Wynd/West Mills – pathway
Dunbar Road – pavement a mess
12/12 Lights out: skateboard ramps
09/01 Long Stay parking-disabled parking bays
13/02 Footbridge at Riverside Drive
Lighting – Sidegate and Mackays
St Ann’s Place – large puddle
Town Taxis -parking
Herdmanflat – broken slabs/tree roots
13/03 Nungate Bridge – light filters
Abbey Bridge – broken mirror
Ball Alley – lights
10/04 Estate Agents signs
Abbotsview/Riverside Drive – wall/broken slabs
Athelstaneford – toilets: 12/06 Tom Trotter was aware of the situation and will chase it up Action TT
Newton Port/Market St junction – broken sign in pavement
Guttering – High Street
Courier Office – exposed pipe in pavement
Peter Potters – broken drain
08/05 White brig – slats missing-Tom has passed this on to relevant department (12/06)
Pathway at sluice
12/06 Public toilets-one-way mirror
Potholes – Knox
Waterside Bistro-litter lying about
Rugby Club-upgrading & fencing off pitch
Nungate Bridge-needing overhaul
Oak Tree Café-untidy-needing cleared